Today we launched the Alpha Test Stage 7. This new version of the game is focused on story and lore improvements. There are a lot of changes, so read more for details.
It is hard to believe - but it has been over two years since we updated the main story part of the game - when Keepers Village and Ruins of New Kyiv were added during Alpha 3. We had plans to release Karfaree shortly afterwards, but eventually it resembled that Guns'n Roses album which was promised and delayed over and over, but eventually delivered, just like we deliver Karfaree right now!
This is a large quest location unlike any other. It has way more quests, characters, non-liner bits and interactivity than any other location in the game. Actually, in terms of interactive content, it is larger than all story quest locations combined (I am talking about Opposition Hideout, Keepers Village, and Ruins of New Kyiv together).
Ok, I will not take away the enjoyment of exploring it yourself, but will mention the key points of Karfaree:
- The story moves forward - you will meet the mysterious Jester in person.
- The design of the location is multi-layered - you will be returning here over and over because of other quests or something new that has appeared in the city.
- Unprecedented non-linearity - in most cases there are multiple ways to achieve your goal. You will have to play it at least 10 times with different heroes in order to see all of the branches in quests and conversations.
- Two dozen new characters, mostly new, but some you have already met before.
- A dozen new quests in Karfaree alone, not to mention other quests that now can be completed in Karfaree (i.e. Caves of Fear and Doubt) or quests that are influenced by, or have alternative solutions, because of Karfaree (i.e. Impostor Hero).
- The general theme of the game shifts to be more controversal, ironic, and adult. No longer we are pretending this is kids-friendly game.
- You can take part in Colosseum fights!
- You can take part in the Opera play!
- You can be jailed, have people fall in love with you, report a murderer or become one... numerous possiblities are waiting for you out there.
When you have played through it, please complete the survey:
There are 9 new side quest locations with 2 new quests which are heavy on lore and shedding some light on the Precurors and overall back story. Unlike other side locations like dens, caves, or dungeons, these have a relaxed feel and are focused on exploration and uncovering mysteries.
When you have played through them, please complete the survey:
The Garden and Tesla minigames were a great success so far - so we are continuing the tradition of adding a new one at each new Alpha launch. This time it revolves around Steve Perfectionisto, his clumsy worker Jam Shu, and ... you! The Wonderful Garden minigame was also redesigned to remove the guessing element from it. Now garden levels should be more exciting.
4 New Politics
This is a service to PvP people - in addition to Collectivism and Despotism, 4 new politics will be added to the game which allows more strategic possibilities in the game. One politic is defensive and the other 3 are offensive ones:
- Republic - politics for passive players, allows you to play successfully with just 2 towns. Good for squeezed players and science-oriented ones. Available in Classical Age.
- Monarchy - reduces the effect from corruption if your towns are as close to each other as possbile. Allows you to have more towns than you are normally able at the cost of smaller domains and less globals. Could be good for early fighters (until Renaissance) as more towns means bigger armies until you will need sulphur. Available in Medieval Age.
- Democracy - allows you to have 4 globals attached to each town at the cost of reducing basic resource income. Available in Renaissance Age.
- Dictatorship - army upkeep cost is halved at the cost of increased culture requirements to grow the domain. Available in Renaissance Age.
New Old World
This time we are returning to temperate Grasslands climate which has been absent for several alpha stages already. The size of the continent is the same as Alpha 6. With the experimental speed increase staying intact it's size should be big enough.
The Alpha 7 launch also features a set of improvements to the world map and army transfer. Now it should be more convenient to send your troops over. Sending the explorers is not totally reworked yet, but it's on the way.
The wipe of progress and Enkord Cash refund
Just like it was announced in previous news post - all Enkord Cash spent since 20th of October will be refunded. Needless to say, any unspent Enkord Cash will not be lost and you will be able to spend them during Alpha 7 without problems. Additionally, there are some other things worth mentioning:
- All items purchased with Enkord Cash (those which have E sign) were transferred to Alpha 7, so you will be able to start a new hero with these items from the old Age.
- You can even take up to 3 equipment items from the old hero to the new one, so your best artifacts can be kept! Heroes who have completed the game with Victory before can take more items.
- Last but not the least - there are different bonus packages - second wind and loyalist packages - so you will have a better start at Alpha 7.
All existing heroes and countries are wiped, because the changes in Alpha 7 are too complicated to allow us keep your progress. We appologize if it causes you inconvenience, but don't forget this game is still in an early stage of development. Such progress losses were expected and announced in advance.
The rankings are wiped for everyone as well - but achievements are kept and can be continued in Alpha 7.
Bugs! Bugs! Bugs!
This is extremenly raw update so we expect a lot of bugs, especially related to Karfaree. Therefore if you just want to enjoy the game or afraid of critically breaking some of your quests - better wait a week or two before starting. The competition for space in the beginning is also very tough, so that may be another reason for you to wait.
If you decide to test it right away without delay - you are welcome to report us bugs so we can fix them promptly.